Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Organic Grocery Haul

Hi there!

I have been trying very hard to find the encouragement to come back to this blog. I love this blog. I feel this blog can go places. But I'm bad at finding interesting things to post so today we're going to do my recent grocery haul.

My New Years Resolution was/is to be more conscious about what I buy and how I eat and just where my money is going in general. I have been really good at that so check out our grocery haul and meal plan.

I had a budget of $70 for a weeks worth of food for 2 people and this is what I got! (Not pictured is a large package of chicken breasts and a large cantaloupe melon Oops!)

Okay so the first thing i picked up was actually at the flea market; I grabbed the melon, two ears of sweet corn, and a cucumber. All local and very large for only $4.50. I was pretty happy with that purchase because I LOVE cantaloupe and my roommate really likes corn and cucumber. So win!
Then I went to my local Whole Foods, not the *best* place to do my weekly shopping but I love that place. Normally I go to Giant and I stick to the natures Promise brand as much as possible but I find

that many of the Whole Foods 365 brand are cheaper than natures Promise, and I don't know if NP is GMO free and 365 is.
At Whole foods i got 3 bunches of bananas because my roommate made it clear that he wants "bananas erry day", and that is an exact quote. We go through bananas quickly though and are already almost out :( I also grabbed 2 mangoes because they were on sale, and 2 bell peppers.


Then I picked up chicken because it's super easy to prepare in many ways and cheap. I LOVE having chicken because we can bake it, fry it, cut it into strips, use it in pasta. Anything. Brandon is getting tired of it so I am not sure what to do about that. If it were up to him we'd have burgers all day erry day.
We have plenty of pasta because whenever there is a deal i stock up with 4-5 boxes so i grabbed 2 jars of this great pasta sauce (photo below). i got peanut butter and mixed berry jelly for Brandons lunches (though i forgot bread -_-) Last I grabbed eggs and some frozen veggies.

We only drink water and the only things I forgot were rice, and bread. But I can get my grandfather to get me those.
Meal plan? Well I made spaghetti with chicken Monday and we haven't had dinner since (we skip dinner a lot) but Brandon has been having eggs for breakfast everyday and I've been making smoothies for my breakfast. Monday we had mango banana, then Tuesday we had the same but I added a spoonful of peanut butter and Brandon hated it. I loved it though. This morning i had peanut butter banana smoothie. Next week i'm going to grab bags of frozen fruit and leafy greens so I can incorporate the things Brandon won't eat into my diet via smoothie :P

Brandon and I want to incorporate one vegetarian day a week, and this week it will be stuffed peppers with rice and maybe beans? Probably with broccoli since Brandon loves broccoli.

Okay so that's it I guess, we don't get much since we are on an extremely limited budget but we eat well and that's what matters! I really want people to see that healthy eating can be done at all budgets. We need to encourage more people to shop local, shop fresh, and shop real food! You don't need a Whole Foods budget but you can have great healthy foods from the grocery store or the farmers market.

See you all tomorrow for another life update!



No comments:

Post a Comment