Thursday, July 17, 2014

NO POO CHALLENGE!

circa 1998 age 4
Me and my hair have a looong history of struggles. We have fought many a time. Tears were shed. Scissors have been involved. But after 20 years I think I've finally gotten my hair routine where I want it! Here's a quick history:

Age 0-10: My Daddy did my hair! Lots of Pink moisturizer, gels, and braids. He treated my hair just as if it were 'black' hair even though it simply is not but it worked well :)
Age 10-15: I started doing my own hair! It was a wreck, I washed everyday or every other day, was very lazy about moisturizer and I didn't have a proper comb/brush so tangles/frizz/split ends were rampant. My hair was quite unhealthy and I wore it in a pony tale always.
circa 2009 age 15
Age 15-19: I found a brush! Goody is a life savor, my Goody Ouchless paddle brush saved my life. I started brushing my hair out in the shower, moisturizing with Pink and then braiding my hair for bed. For the first time I could wear my hair out and I experimented with different routines over this period but I mostly washed every other day and used tons of Pink for moisture and shine. My hair finally started looking healthier.
Age 19-20: I discovered Mixed Chicks! (Review to come) I started washing only once a week, deep conditioning, and using a leave in conditioner instead of Pink. My hair has never been healthier or curlier!

Okay so my washing schedule was about once a week and between washes I brush it out in the shower and use leave in to help combat frizz. Since I'm bad at schedules though my wash schedule is more like every week or so, so i'd say 3-4 washes a month. So when i first learned of the No Shampoo challenge/experiment I though it could work but I wasn't willing to give up my Mixed Chicks (It's literally made for me!) but now my shampoo is running low and I'm out of conditioner so i figure instead of buying new i'll just try to go without!
Now part of this is wanting my hair to be as healthy as possible, I love my hair and I want it to be as wonderful as it can be but the other part of this challenge is to use less products. I've never been a 'girly' girl, i don't wear make-up of have a million different products to use but I do 4 products for my hair, not daily but I own 4 bottles and I want to limit that even more. Maybe I can get to just a bottle of shampoo for a monthly of bi-monthly washing one day and thus us less and put less bottles into landfills.
I know some people will used baking soda and vinegar for this challenge but I'm going cold turkey. No washing! Sounds gross but since I comb my hair under water it will be rinsed every day and i always loved my hair after a few days no wash anyway.
Since i have super curly hair i'm hoping that my natural oils will work well to keep it healthy looking and I won't get dry. So i started yesterday by washing all of the crap out of my hair one last time and I will keep you all updated each week (or so). Have some pictures!


Day 1 No-poo
Last month, a few days after wash














No comments:

Post a Comment